Green color painted in Korean temples signifies restraint of ambition and perseverance through criticism. Orange color signifies holiness of Buddha. Red color signifies obedience to the ethical precepts.
Ingredient note: Gardenia fruit helps lower cholesterol, relieve fever and improve insomnia and digestion. Prickly cactus pear with high content of vitamin C has anti-aging effects. It also helps improve skin conditions, diabetes, and edema.
- 230 grams lotus root
- 2 liters plus 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 200 grams spinach
- 5 dried gardenia fruit (치자 chi ja)
- 15 grams prickly pear cactus powder (백년초 baek nyeon cho)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 2 liters oil for frying
- Peel and cut lotus root to 0.2 centimeter slices. Soak lotus root slices in vinegar water made with 1 tablespoon vinegar in 2 liters of water to prevent lotus root from oxidizing.
- Soak gardenia fruits in 1 cup of water.
- Make separate batters for three different colors.
Green – Blend spinach with 1 cup of water to make spinach juice. Whisk together spinach juice, 2/3 cup flour and 2/3 teaspoon potato starch.
Yellow – Soak gardenia fruits in 1 cup of water for 30 minutes. Discard gardenia fruits. Whisk together gardenia soaked water, 2/3 cup flour and 2/3 teaspoon potato starch.
Red – Whisk together prickly pear cactus powder, 2/3 cup flour, 2/3 teaspoon potato starch and 1 cup water.
- Dip lotus root slices in the prepared batter and deep-fry in 170~180 Celsius degree (350 F degree) oil.