Effect: This soup is easy to digest and is fitting for monks who need to maintain their mind and body light.
- 15 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 8 cups water
- 250 grams Korean radish mu (무), can substitute with Japanese daikon
- 150 grams shingled hedgehog mushrooms (능이버섯 neung yi beo seot)
- 2 teaspoons Korean soup soy sauce (국간장 guk gan jang)*
- Pinch salt
*Korean soup soy sauce (국간장 guk gan jang) has a lighter color and a deeper, saltier flavor than regular soy sauce.
- Make shiitake mushroom stock by rinsing dried shiitake mushrooms in running water and soak in 8 cups cold water for at least 6 hours. Save shiitake mushrooms for another use. This will result in 6 cups of shiitake mushroom stock.
- Cut radish to 3x3x1-centimeter slices.
- Tear shingled hedgehog mushrooms to 1-centimeter thickness.
- Add radish and mushroom slices to shiitake mushroom stock and bring up to a boil over high heat. Season with Korean soup soy sauce and a pinch of salt.