Venerable Jeok Mun developed this recipe with monks in solo meditation in mind.
Effect: This rice dish helps nourishing ki (spirit), blood, yin and yang energy. Sweet rice, ginseng and pine nut invigorate spirit, red date cleanses blood, rice-soaked water strengthens yin energy. Lotus seeds and beans strengthen yang energy and cleanse blood. Complementary with Sarcodon Aspratus mushroom soup.
- 1 cup sweet brown rice
- 1 cup sweet rice (a.k.a. glutinous white rice)
- 18 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- 20 lotus seeds with skin on (피연자 pih yeon ja)
- 80 grams ginseng
- 10 ginkgo, peeled
- 1 tablespoon goji berries
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Wash sweet brown rice and sweet rice in cold water, then soak in 5 cups of water for 3 hours with a pinch of salt at room temperature. Drain and discard water.
- Soak lotus seeds for 4 hours in 5 cups of water. Boil lotus seeds in water and ½ teaspoon of salt over high heat for 7~10 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain. Remove the green embryo of lotus seeds and discard.
- Soak black beans in 5 cups of water for at least 4 hours then drain.
- Cut ginseng to 0.5×0.5×0.5-centimeter cubes.
- Mix lotus seeds, black beans, ginseng, ginkgo, goji berries, walnuts, pine nuts with brown rice and sweet rice. Add 3 cups of new water.
- Cook the rice mix from Step 5 in a rice cooker and let it rest before serving.
Four electric rice cookers with serving size of 30 each are required.
Gingko nut, walnut, pine nut