Fruits, offered to Buddha, signify the result of meditation Autumn temple treat of fruit kimchi is macerated in sweetened vinegar.
Ingredient note: Vitamins in fruits and amino-acid from vinegar help release toxins from the body and recover energy
- 100 grams Fuji apple or other firm, sweet apple (2 pieces per serving)
- 100 grams Korean cucumber (1 piece for serving)
- 120 grams Asian pear (1 piece per serving)
- 100 grams mango (1 piece per serving)
- 20 grams Red pepper
- 20 grams Green pepper
- 10 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 Thai hot chili pepper
- 25 grams pine nuts
- Cut apple to 1.5×1.5×2 centimeters. Remove seeds from cucumbers and cut to 1.5×1.5×2 centimeters. Peel pear and mango and cut to 1.5×1.5×2 centimeters. Add all fruits in a bowl.
- Make the fruit kimchi dressing by mixing together rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Use half of the dressing to mix in the cut fruits from Step 1 and let rest for one hour.
- Add the other half of the dressing, along with water and Thai hot chili pepper, in a pot and bring up to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and chill completely.
- Remove seeds from both red peppers and green peppers. Cut to 2-centimeter julienne.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of chilled dressing on marinated fruits and garnish with red and green pepper julienne and 1 gram of pine nuts per serving.
Fruit kimchi can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.