Handed-down recipe to the Buddhist monks for 1,300 years.
Effect: Harmony of multigrain with energy from the Sun and lotus root with energies from Earth and Water. The soup helps put the mind and the body at ease and improve health. LOTUS ROOT helps improve anemia, skin condition, stomach problems and fatigue.
- 200 grams ‘wisdom soup’ (총명죽chongmyung juk) powder made with rice, barley, red beans, soy beans, mung beans, sesame seeds and peanut powder
- 6 cups water
- 500 milliliters milk
- 35 grams grated lotus root
- 10 grams salt
- 5 dried red dates (a.k.a. Chinese dates, Korean dates or jujube)
- Mix in 200 grams of ‘wisdom soup’ powder in 2 cups of water.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a pot. Add the soup mix from Step 1 and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Bring it up to a boil as you keep stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add milk and bring it up to a boil again as you keep stirring.
- Stir in grated lotus root. Turn off heat and season with salt.
- Prepare garnish by removing seeds from red dates. Roll tightly and cut to 0.3 centimeter slices. Garnish soup with rolled red date slices for serving.